HKIS believes co-curricular activities are integral to the total education experience for students. The co-curricular program supports the actualization of the school’s Mission, Vision and Student Learning Results (SLRs). Co-curricular activities provide opportunities for students to explore and pursue areas of interest in diverse environments, promoting the development of both collaborative and individual knowledge and skills. These experiences, when pursued appropriately, promote the fulfillment of a healthy and balanced life.
Long-term Transfer Goals
Students will independently use their learning in co-curricular programs to:
- Maintain an active and healthy lifestyle with a good work-life balance.
- Engage in and enjoy a variety of athletic and non-athletic pursuits and interests.
- Express their creativity.
- Interact positively with others and contribute constructively and respectfully as a member of a group or team.
- Value and demonstrate good sportsmanship and fair play.
- Recognise and access opportunities for positive risk-taking.
- Give back by volunteering or contributing as a coach or mentor.
We agree that co-curricular programs have the most positive impact when we follow the agreements below:
- Commitment to a balanced program: We will provide a balanced variety of opportunities, both athletic and non-athletic, to encourage all students to explore their passions and interests.
- Complementary programs: We will provide opportunities that complement educational programs.
- Alignment/Flow: We will provide a developmentally appropriate progression of experiences and instruction in selected activities, such that skills can be honed and tested in increasingly sophisticated situations.
- Student Participation: We will encourage students to engage in a balanced variety of co-curricular programs during their years at HKIS.
- Build community and connectedness: We will provide co-curricular experiences that will foster in students a sense of school spirit, connectedness and pride.
- Lifelong learning: We will provide co-curricular experiences that encourage in students the development of transferable skills, habits and dispositions that will serve them well in their future.