Guidance and Counseling Philosophy
Beliefs We believe that each student is a unique, developing, capable individual who will learn from their experiences and grow personally, socially, spiritually and academically throughout their lives.
Long-term Transfer Goals
As a result of engagement with the HKIS social-emotional curriculum and counseling services, students will:
- Understand the value of a growth mindset.
- Have an openness to seeking solutions.
- Show an awareness of the wide range of human emotions and the intersection of thoughts, feelings and behaviors.
- Be equipped with knowledge and an array of skills for self-management and positive self-regard.
- Demonstrate empathy toward others and compassion toward those in need.
In the best interests of students, we believe that:
- All students have a right to quality guidance and school counseling services throughout their school years.
- The best outcomes happen when all members of the school community share in the nurturing of students’ social, emotional and spiritual well-being and their sense of connection within the school and the larger world community.
- School counseling is both preventative and remedial in fostering social-emotional, spiritual, academic and personal development in support of a balanced life.
- School counselors work collaboratively with faculty, administration, parents, students and the community to provide opportunities that will enable students to set goals, establish priorities, make informed decisions and evaluate results.