- In the News
This was the 5th year that HKIS students have participated in CNN's My Freedom Day, a global event where students across the planet pledge to end modern-day slavery.
At HKIS, dedicated students focus on the issue year-round, and use My Freedom Day as a unique opportunity to shed light on these topics for our Middle and High School communities. Their dedication and passion for the issue make the day a successful and meaningful one for HKIS.
This year's activities included:
- High School students from HKIS and schools across Asia logging on to Zoom to hear from modern-day abolitionists Matthew Friedman and Victoria Ahn, hosted by CNN correspondent Kristie Lu Stout, and ask about what they can do to take action.
- Middle School and High School students making short videos of themselves taking a pledge to end modern-day slavery.
- The High School's HKIS Against Human Trafficking club's awareness-raising activities, including pledge signing, inviting students to write on the HS Rock about what freedom means to them, and a fundraising activity for local NGOs working with at-risk people in Hong Kong.
Here is a summary of this year's coverage:
- Kristie Lu Stout Tweet with video of the panel discussion, with the direct link to the video here.
- CNN's #MyFreedomDay blog page and the direct link to the post on HKIS
- This Harbour Times article
In addition, the 30-min special "The CNN Freedom Project" airs on CNN the weekend of March 20: Saturday at 1 p.m., Sunday at 6 p.m., and Monday 9:30 a.m.
- High School
- Middle School
- Student Projects