Visual Arts Philosophy
We believe that Theatre Arts education promotes empathy and enriches students’ understanding of humanity in all its diversity. Theatre Arts provides an accepting and supportive environment, in which students develop their self-confidence, self-expression and creativity. Students learn how to display the professionalism of the theatre artist, by maintaining deadlines, being punctual, dependable and responsible. Theatre Arts education fosters collaborative and critical thinking skills and dispositions that apply across all disciplines.
Long-term Transfer Goals
Students will independently use their learning in Theatre Arts to:
- Make empathetic connections to others and respond compassionately.
- Be life-long patrons of theatre: appreciate theatre experiences as an audience member or active participant.
- Converse intelligently about performances and dramatic works.
- Collaborate and contribute constructively as a member of a group.
- Practice self-reflection, and be receptive to feedback in pursuit of continued growth.
We agree that Theatre Arts education happens best when we provide opportunities for students to:
- Develop effective collaborative skills in a supportive, trusting environment.
- Explore different perspectives.
- Craft and present performances.
- Deepen their understanding by taking risks and challenging themselves.
- Become more self-aware.