Careers at HKIS
Careers at HKIS
Prospective teachers should evaluate how well they “fit” the following profile:
- Excellence: motivated to serve children, in-depth knowledge of subject, ability to engage students, high standards
- Spiritually centered: committed to understanding and respecting Christianity and other religions
- Life-long learner: passionate about professional and personal growth and improving one’s teaching practices
- Collaborative and relational: enthusiastic about sharing professional practices and teamwork
- Focused: committed to the HKIS Student Learning Results
- Community builder: willingness to participate in HKIS community events
- Global minded: understands, respects, and appreciates diverse cultures, a sense of global stewardship and responsibility
The school strives to maintain an ethnically and culturally diverse staff to complement both its mission and character. Teachers model caring, celebrating and serving, and encourage others to do the same. Teachers should be conversant about their faith, supportive of the Christian values the school espouses, and interested in joining the religious conversation of the community.
HKIS fosters a collegial atmosphere among faculty to encourage their involvement in decisions about the educational program. North Americans comprise 60% of the HKIS faculty while the remaining are from private and public schools around the world. Teachers recruited in the U.S. who are members of the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod are appointed through the Board of Mission Services.
The underlying philosophy of the Professonal Development program at HKIS is lifelong education. We believe that adults and students learn best when education is differentiated, relevant, participatory and applied.
HKIS aims to keep teachers equipped with the latest developments and best practices in curriculum, assessment and other relevant areas. Engaging students in creative ways requires active engagement in professional learnig. HKIS commits resources (human, financial and time) towards its professional development program and provides opportunities for professional collaboration among educators in support of schoolwide and individual growth such as:
- Support from on-site instructional coaches.
- In-house lab sites.
- Collaborative time for divisional and schoolwide teams during designated Professional Development days.
- On-site visits by world class educational experts.
HKIS Administrators foster the objectives and educational goals of Hong Kong International School. HKIS' leadership team is composed of 24 administrators from diverse backgrounds whose collective efforts support faculty and staff colleagues in achieving the Mission, Vision and Student Learning Results. Administrators foster HKIS' educational goals while building and nurturing the school's culture and community.
In addition, they are expected to participate fully in the life of the school, and to perform administrative duties necessary to ensure the continued welfare of students and teachers.
HKIS Administrators are recruited in the following areas:
- Principals and Associate Principals
- Information Technology
- Human Resources
- Curriculum and Professional Development
Administrator positions will be posted as they arise.
The management and operation of HKIS and its four Divisions demands a capable and committed team of support staff. This group of dedicated individuals helps to ensure that HKIS is able to deliver the educational and co-curricular programs and activities that contribute to a well rounded program.
HKIS recruits throughout the year for full-time, part-time, and contract positions to meet the continuing and evolving needs of the organization.
Our staff are involved in the following functional areas:
- Finance Administration, Accounting and Purchasing
- Human Resources
- Marketing and Communications
- Facilities Management
- Information Technology
Staff positions will be posted as they arise.
Teacher Assistants play an integral role in the delivery of the educational program at HKIS. They provide a wide variety of services, including assisting faculty with instructional support in small groups or individual students, classroom preparation, supervision of students, administrative support, and other clerical duties.
HKIS Teacher Assistants respect and appreciate diverse cultures, languages and religious traditions and actively support the HKIS Mission Statement and Student Learning Results (SLRs).
Our Teacher Assistants possess the following qualities:
- English language skills
- Collaborative; ability to work as part of a team
- Organization ability
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Basic computer skills (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerSchool)
We recruit Teacher Assistants throughout the year and positions are posted as they arise.
We recruit for Substitute Positions throughout the year.
Application Form for Substitute Teacher
HKIS employs suitably qualified Substitute Teacher applicants who are:
- Fully qualified or experienced teachers
- Hong Kong Permanent Residents or Dependent Visa holders
- Registered or Permitted teachers with the HK Education Bureau
If you fulfill the above requirements and would like to be included on our daily substitute list, please complete the application below and email to: email@example.com
Please see All Current Openings below to check for any long-term substitute vacancies.
Application Form for Substitute Teacher Assistant, Nurse, Swimming Instructor and Staff
Please attach the following documents to your application:
Please note that applications will only be processed when all documents are received:
- Your Hong Kong (HKID) card OR A copy of the Visa stamp in your passport, if not a Permanent HKID holder
- Copies of degree/diploma/teaching certificates/nursing qualifications, as appropriate
- Reference letters
- Curriculum Vitae
- Sexual Conviction Record Check (SCRC) from the Hong Kong police
Once the completed application and relevant documents have been received, only successful applicants will be contacted by the school. Thereafter, the Substitute Coordinators will notify you as soon as a suitable opening arises.
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purposes only. HKIS welcomes candidates who would like to apply for long-term or short-term substitute positions as Faculty, Teacher Assistant or Nurse, for all Grade levels.
The Great Place to Work survey is conducted every two years. Find out more about Great Place To Work.